[Sca-cooks] A tomato problem... A bit OT

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Wed Sep 7 10:52:24 PDT 2005

I never had too much problem with em, (except with
fruits cracking from uneven rainfall totals)

Of course, I always started mine indoors, hardened
em off in the porch, and planted them mid may as
16-20 inch vigorous seedlings (the ones that the cat
did not eat while
small!)

Here is a well recommended trick: place red plastic or
fabric on the ground around em. They seem to react to
red in their vicinity. You can buy stuff like this in
most garden stores. With the sunlight you describe, this
should promote ripening.

Make sure that they are not planted so close that they
are fighting for that sunlight, too.

When I did vegetables, I planted lots and lots, and
ruthlessly thinned them out to have the healthiest
ones more than 20' apart and had them well trelliced
or caged to support the bearing branches.

I also pinched off a lot of blossoms if it looked like
the plant was going to "set heavy". Lots of fruit may
seem like a good thing, but they each will need their
share of the mother plant's resources, and that delays
full maturity. Fewer, higher quality and faster fruit
is better, IMHO.

Capt Elias
Dragonship Haven, East
(Stratford, CT, USA)
Apprentice in the House of Silverwing

-Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas
- Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
There are SO damn many more things I want to try in
the SCA than I can possibly have time for.
It's killing me!!!

Upon the hempen tackle ship-boys climbing;
Hear the shrill whistle which doth order give
To sounds confused; behold the threaden sails,
Borne with the invisible and creeping wind,
Draw the huge bottoms through the furrow'd sea,
Breasting the lofty surge: O, do but think
You stand upon the ravage and behold
A city on the inconstant billows dancing;
For so appears this fleet majestical,
Holding due course to Harfleur.
  - Shakespeare - Henry V, Act III, Prologue