[Sca-cooks] Dutch Ovens

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 7 14:26:20 PDT 2005

Mirhimah wrote:
>Okay so they're not period (or are they?) but I'm curious how many
>SCAdians use them at camp. I just got one (feeds 5 or 6 people) as a
>gift and I wonder if I should even bother curing it in time for faire. :D

Well, the cast iron Dutch oven isn't period, but it's close to some
actual pots. Mine doesn't have legs, as it was meant to be used on a
modern stove, but it works on a grill over coals.

During the Great Western War Iron Chef competition (organized by
Selene) in... uh... 2003?... we - the West Kingdom team - used Dutch
ovens on a fire to cook a pie and to make a German dish (i'll have to
find it - it's one of Sabina Welser's recipes) you make "leaves" in a
separate pan, then layer them with chicken, and bake.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita