[Sca-cooks] A Challenge to Find a Dish

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 7 15:10:17 PDT 2005

'Lainie wrote:
>  >Chekyns in browet. Take chekyns, scalde hom fayre and clene. Take persole,
>  >sauge, oœer herb3, grene Grapus, and stope œy chekyns with wynne. Take
>  >goode brothe, sethe hom œerinne, So œat œay sone boyled may be. Coloure œe
>  >brothe with safrone fre, And cast œeron powder dowce, For to be served in
>  >goode mennys howse.
>
>I served this to the Prince and Princess of the Summits at an event last
>month- it went over well and I didn't have to figure out what to do with
>the leftovers- because there weren't any! The only thing I wondered about-
>anyone have an opinion as to whether the grapes were 'green' as in
>underripe, or 'green' as in color?

I'd think unripe.

The Tuscan Cookbook that Vittoria translated has
a recipe for a Parma Tarte that uses sliced or
chopped meat, garlic, scallions, green herbs, and
green grapes. I assume the green unripe sour
grapes would be what verjus would be made from.

Vittoria cooked a feast for the Royals at June
Crown and made this recipe. Besides being her
webmaster, I was her chauffeur. We found green
unripe grapes at the ever wonderful Berkeley Bowl
Market. I helped her make the tart and got to
taste some on Sunday after the feast. It was
fabulous.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita