Squid ink was Re: [Sca-cooks] Basque Food

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Sep 7 18:51:28 PDT 2005

On Sep 7, 2005, at 9:03 PM, Patrick Levesque wrote:

> Er, please enlighten me here ... What does squid ink taste like?

Hmmm. I've never been asked that before, so I have no stock answer. I
guess I'd say it's rich and ocean-tasting (in a way things like sea
urchin can be), with an occasional slight bitter aftertaste. Mostly
it's eaten in with other foods for its color (black in quantity,
brown, as in "sepia", in dilute quantities). Like blood, it thickens
just a bit when cooked, and can "break" into black specks and a
thinner, lighter-colored liquid if overheated.

> Where do
> you find it, or under what brand is it marketed?

Again, hmmm. Sometimes you can get a little packet of the processed
ink packaged with things like fresh pasta. You might be able to get
it in some processed commercial [food-safe] venue, but the most
obvious place to get it is from fresh squid. Each squid has a little
clearish sac of it behind each eye, under the mantle. Just gently
pull the head and tentacles and entrails out from the body sac, and
you'll see the little sacs full of black stuff between the eyes and
the entrails. The stuff that looks like ink is, in fact, ink.

> And is it actually safe for young children and nursing women (I'm
> concerned
> about mercury levels mostly, and other such drawbacks)?

I'm not sure about this. I assume it's like most other seafood
products, wherein people aren't supposed to eat more than a certain
amount in a given month. A little goes a long way, though, so I can't
imagine anyone eating very much.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782