[Sca-cooks] paella

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 8 12:57:21 PDT 2005

Cealian Of Moray wrote:
>   I tend to believe noodles would have been a more modern adaptation. Less
>likely to be period then say rice or peas, beans.  Not sure how fast noodles
>would have spread form Italy into the Iberian peninsula.

Why would noodles have to come to the Iberian peninsula from Italy?

The Muslim arrived in the Iberian Peninsula in 711. There's a long
history of noodles in Islamic cuisine, both long and short noodles.
And the non-Muslim Iberians could learn from the Muslims, since there
was a great deal of cultural sharing and intermarriage.

As for noodles in Italy, there are some recipes that suggest that the
Romans had some noodly dishes, using short pasta bits. Since the
Romans had long been in the Iberian Peninsula before the Fall of
Rome, it's conceivable that short pasta bits came to Iberia that way.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita