[Sca-cooks] paella

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Sep 9 23:22:05 PDT 2005

Caelian of Moray replied to me with:
>   Actually that's what I am going after is it or isn`t it period. I
> have
> found several shadowy references in historical accounts in the Iberian
> peninsula about soldiers, and local populations using shields to cook
> a meal upon.

Huh? I've always heard that shields were made out of wood, not metal.
How would you cook on them? Perhaps you are thinking of cooking in a
helmet?

> The only common thread is grain or legumes. Meats, fowl, sea
> food ,
> ranged depending on where your making the dish. Real thin thread some
> what
> stretched to the breaking point thread. But what is the point of
> going after
> the easy. After all is it not what we are about in the end of things.
> Finding out the little bits of reality within the time frame.

I think though that we need to be careful of all those little bits
and assembling them into something that wasn't really there. As well
as the exceptions and one of a kind items. Personally I have a
preference for useable A&S objects. We often tend to make our
medieval replicas based on what survives in museums and collections.
Often, the reason we have those items is that they were special
pieces and were never used, and may have never been made to be used.
They were handed down from generation to generation because they were
art pieces rather than practical pieces. The useable, practical
pieces were used until they were worn out or converted into something
else. End of rant.

>   I tend to believe noodles would have been a more modern adaptation.
> Less
> likely to be period then say rice or peas, beans.  Not sure how fast
> noodles
> would have spread form Italy into the Iberian peninsula.

Well, what makes you think noodles originated in Italy? We have a
number of pasta dishes from all over. One thing we do know is that
there were pasta dishes in Europe long before Marco Polo came back
from China.

In the FOOD section of the Florilegium for those who might be
interested in more pasta info:
pasta-msg        (103K)  2/22/02    Period pasta. Period references.
Recipes.
pasta-gnocchi-msg (13K)  8/ 1/01    Period gnocchi pasta. Recipes.
pasta-stufed-msg  (33K)  3/20/01    Period stuffed pasta dishes.
Ravioli.

>   I have used your Archive so much I think I have set an apartment on
> the lower levels.

Thank you for the compliment on the Florilegium. I have heard folks
joke about needing to leave a trail of breadcrumbs when they enter
the Florilegium so they can find their way out. Or folks that have
gone in "for a quick look" and suddenly three or four hours have
passed. :-)

> Some day I am hoping to contribute to its mass, who knows
> maybe even Paella. Unless of course someone else beats me to it. All
> is fair in research after all.

Most of the research and info in the Florilegium comes from others. I
just edit and maintain things. And I am always looking for new,
useful or interesting material. This thread for instance has probably
generated enough info to create a file specifically on paella, even
if right now the exact origins and definition of paella is a bit
hazy. Perhaps someone else can use the resulting file and refine the
material a it more.

I have no problem having multiple articles on the same subject. Each
author approaches things from a different angle and viewpoint. For
instance, I have two message files on soap and soapmaking and two or
three articles on it. That doesn't mean I wouldn't accept a new
article on this, although it might not get as high a priority as one
on a new, less known subject.

I also don't have a problem with folks taking what is in the
Florilegium, organizing it better, perhaps adding some new material
and then writing an article. This happened with my Gypsies-msg file.
A lady took what was in the file at that time, added more material
and used that to teach a class at Pennsic. Now her articles are also
in the Florilegium.

I'd love to have more contributions or help on the Florilegium,
including forwarded good messages and articles from other, public,
mail lists. The copyright remains with the author and I will take
upgrades at any time. I also have no problem with articles being
published elsewhere, on the web or in paper publications, either
before or after they are in the Florilegium.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com