[Sca-cooks] Sweet Potato Recipes:

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Sat Sep 10 08:52:31 PDT 2005

A few family recipes. My family uses the crunchy pecan topping over the
sweet potato casserole. My wife's family uses the marshmallows.

Candied Sweet Potatoes

8 – 10 small sweet potatoes
dash of salt
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
4 tbs butter or margarine
1 tbs self-rising flour
2 tbs vanilla flavoring
2 tbs lemon flavoring

Peel sweet potatoes and cover with cold water until peeling is
completed. Remove from water one at a time and slice in circles or
lengthwise into a baking dish.

Mix dry ingredients together and spoon over potato slices. Shake dish so
some of the sugar mixture will settle to the bottom of dish. Place pats
of butter on top and drizzle with vanilla and lemon flavoring to wet
sugar. Do not add water! Place in a 350 degree oven and bake covered for
30 minutes and uncovered for another 30 minutes. Baste potatoes with
juice several times after the first 30 minutes of baking.

Sweet Potato Casserole

3 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla
2 eggs
½ cup milk
½ cup butter

Mix it all together, put it in buttered dish.

Topping:
1 cup brown sugar packed
½ cup flour
1 cup of Pecans
½ cup butter

Mix together, sprinkle over potatoes. You can use Marshmallows over the
top instead of the topping.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Southern Sweet Potato Pie

1 9 inch unbaked pie shell
3 medium sized eggs
¾ cups sugar, half brown and half white
1 cup undiluted evaporated milk
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp salt
¼ cup soft butter
1 ½ cups cooked, mashed, sweet potatoes.

Heat oven to 450. Prepare pie shell. Beat eggs well with a rotary
beater. Add sugars, milk, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt; beat until
blended. Mix in butter and potatoes. Pour into pie shell and bake 10
minutes. Reduce temperature to 325 and continue baking 30 minutes or
longer, until filling is set. Chill before serving.