[Sca-cooks] Is Sourdough Halal

Katherine Throckmorton kthrockmorton at lycos.com
Fri Sep 16 09:28:18 PDT 2005

Simon wrote:

> Have a friend at work asking me to make bread.
> I wanted to make some sourdough breads for him.
> He is Muslim, and with the no alcohol, does the alcohol of well developed
> sourdough cause a problem?

I am not qualified from a Muslim perspective to give a definative answer on that question.  My assumption would be that given that the intended purpose of the fermentation is to produce bread, and that the slight production of alcohol is incidental that sourdough would be halal.  Certainly, in many parts of the Muslim world bread made using sourdough and/or wild yeast is quite commonly eaten.

But if you want a more definative answer, I'd suggest calling your local mosque, or writing to one of the online advice sites.  Or you could just ask your friend if this would be a problem for him.

-Katie (All Katherine knows about Mohammadeans is that they commit piracy, and Asma thinks that moderate drinking is OK)