[Sca-cooks] sauerkraut

Holli Sicard sicardrenfairefam at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 16 12:39:57 PDT 2005

<snip>
However, do you remember me talking all those years ago about Auntie Ruth? My ex's foster mother who taught me so much about German cooking?
Well, Auntie Ruth made several batches of Sauerkraut every year for more than seventy years, and never added yeast. She'd just shred the cabbage, layer it with salt in a stoneware churn, stick it in the meathouse outside and wait a week or so.

Mordonna
<snip>

I have a 'kraut mucker.  It is a huge stoneware 'pot' with two large 'sour stones' that get placed in the bottom.  If anyone is interested, by all means, drop me a line.  I am willing to part with it.  It was purchased with the right intentions, but has not been used here.  We just are not 'kraut people.  I thought the family would be more open to it, but rather quite the opposite.
Let me know if any of you are interested, and I will send a pic of it.
Holli