[Sca-cooks] Making crabapple jelly

Denise Wolff scadian at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 19 08:15:35 PDT 2005

>From: Sandra Kisner <sjk3 at cornell.edu>
>Subject: RE: [Sca-cooks] Making verjuice
>Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:21:10 -0400

>How do you make verjuice from crabapples?  I might actually have enough
>this year to harvest, and don't have any recipes (not even for crabapple
>jelly!).
>Sandra

CRAB APPLE JELLY	 (From cooks.com)

1 peck crab apples, cut in half

Put in large container to boil. Use enough water so that you can just see
the water, almost to the top of apples. Boil at very low temperature for
about 2 hours or until soft.

Put mixture in fine cheese cloth bag, let drain, do not squeeze bag as it
will cloud the jelly. Just drip from bag. (Let drain overnight.)

Next A.M. use juice from apples, as follows:

10 cups apple juice = 11 cups sugar
8 cups apple juice = 8 8/10 cups sugar
6 cups apple juice = 6 6/10 cups sugar
3 cups apple juice = 3 3/10 cups sugar

Boil apple juice and sugar for 35 minutes. Skim at very last crab apple
jelly. Put in jars while hot. Cover with lid, tightly.

Andrea MacIntyre

*From the very core of our being we desire contentment.  For harmony each
individual's identity must be fully respected.
~ Dalai Lama

Six essential qualities that are the key to success: Sincerity, personal
integrity, humility, courtesy, wisdom, charity.
~ William Menninger