[Sca-cooks] Verjuice

Denise Wolff scadian at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 19 09:39:52 PDT 2005

>From: wildecelery at aol.com
>Subject: [Sca-cooks] Verjuice

>Mistress Andrea,
>  Can you share the directions for making verjuice from crabapples?
>-Ardenia

Sure! Andrea

Gather the crab apples and trim all the  blackend areas.Then the apples are
crushed (I used a food processor) and Press (Cheesecloth) for their juice.
Place in clean container with cheesecloth over mouth of vessel. Allow to sit
at room temperature (I used the weekend). Then transfer to clean bottles and
cap (as if you were bottling wine or mead). Keep in fridge to maintain .

139.  To make Verjuice.

      Gather your Crabs as foon as the Ker-nels turn black, and lay
them a while in a heap to Sweat, then pick them from the Stalks,
blacks,  and rottenefs, then crufh and beat them all to pieces in a
Tub, then make a bag  of  courfe  Hair-cloath  as  big as your Prefs,
and fill it with the crufht Crabs,  then put it into  the Prefs and
Prefs it as long as any moifture will drop out, having a clean Veffel
underneath to re- ceive the Liquor ; then Tun it up in fweet
Hogfheads,  and to every Hogfhead put half a dozen handfuls of Damask
Rofe Leaves, then bring it up, and fpend it as you have Occafion.

The Accomplifh'd Lady's Delight in Preferving, Phyfick, Beautifying, and
Cookery. 1675

*From the very core of our being we desire contentment.  For harmony each
individual's identity must be fully respected.
~ Dalai Lama

Six essential qualities that are the key to success: Sincerity, personal
integrity, humility, courtesy, wisdom, charity.
~ William Menninger