[Sca-cooks] torula fungus

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Sep 20 14:27:33 PDT 2005

Torula is a genus of molds with no sexual state (thus differentiating them
from true yeasts).  It is grown for use in nutritional products and ferments
various sugars.  While I have no first hand knowledge of the manufacturing
process, it apparently can be grown on the waste from sugar processing and
other industrial processes related to sugar including waste from the
production of alcohol.

While one meaning of liquor is an alcoholic beverage produced by
distillation rather than simple fermentation, liquor has more general
meanings referring to liquids in cooking and industrial processes.  For
example, liquor is used to refer to the combination of liquids and fluid
suspended yeast used in baking.

Bear