[Sca-cooks] Med/Ren Kitchen Job Titles?

margaret m.p.decker at att.net
Wed Sep 21 16:02:20 PDT 2005

A baker is not usually part of the kitchen staff.  Where an establishment
had a baker, they normally had a bakery separate from the kitchen.  If the
manor didn't have a bakery, it commonly purchased from the nearest baker.
Because of the guild structure and the legal restrictions on bakers, when
they worked for private employers, bakers were contract professionals not
subject to the control of the cook.

The various specialties you note here are a very late development beginning
in the late 16th or early 17th Centuries.  Codification of these specialties
in France is, I believe, post-period and Napoleonic in origin.  In fact, I
think you will find most kitchen specialties are derived from the division
of labor in a modern commercial kitchen.

Bear