[Sca-cooks] in the thick of it...

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Thu Sep 22 12:48:36 PDT 2005

Jenn Strobel wrote:

>The dish sounds really lovely, regardless of my historical noodling and
>picking.

Why thank you!

As for the herbs in question...

Sage is referenced in:
Didaxeon, Peri "Peri Didaxeon" of Schools of Medicine' British Museum
Harleian, ms 6258" in _Leechdoms, Wortcunning, and Starcraft of Early
England, Being a Collection of Documents…illustrating the history of
science in this country before the Norman conquest_. Vol III.collected
and ed. by Oswald Cockayne, London, Rolls series 35, 1864.

A leechbook of the period. I am not an expert on these matters (yet),
but sage is also listed as available during that period by Mary Savelli
"Tastes of Anglo-Saxon England", Colin Spencer "British Food" and I
think in Maggie Black's work (but that is back in the library now).

I am using Thyme in place of Wild Thyme. I am told the flavors are
similar. Wild Thyme was also available at that time.

All we know is that these two herbs were used for a tea, for sure, since
the sources are leechbooks. We do know that a variety of wild and
cultivated herbs were used in soups and stews. I don't think the jump is
that far.

Again, I am still learning...

Aoghann