[Sca-cooks] Danelaw sources and a book by Savelli

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Fri Sep 23 05:48:47 PDT 2005

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> You don't mention these books, but for info on whether a particular
> plant or food item was eaten in Anglo-Saxon England, I would
> recommend these books by Ann Hagen:

Thanks for the comments Stefan. But, before we go back through this
discussion of books again, we already did that, twice. :)

Period Sources I looked at are:
Anthimus, /De obseruatione ciborum/, translated by Mark Grant
Ælfric, /Colloquy, /edited by Garmonsway
/Bald's Leechbook/, edited by Cockayne
/Lacnunga, /edited by Grattan and Singer
/Medicina de quadrupedibus, /edited by Vriend
/Peri Didaxeon, /edited by Löweneck
/Recipes/, edited by Cockayne
I also looked at earlier cooking references, like our good Roman friend,
and later period references.

Non-Period Sources I looked at are:
Mary Savelli, /Tastes of Anglo-Saxon England/
Ann Hagen, /A Handbook of Anglo-Saxon Food/
Ann Hagen, /A Second Handbook of Anglo-Saxon Food.../
Colin Spencer, /British Food: An Extraordinary Thousand Years of History
/Maggie Black, /Food and Cooking in Medieval Britain/
Also various books and websites on herbs, flora, farming, trade and
such. All briefly.

Comments and references from this list were also extremely helpful.

The question of what constitutes a "correct" recipe for this time period
and location is largely a matter of epistemology. Faced with a lack of
specific recipes, each individual constructs their own perception of
what would be probable in the context of their own preconceptions and
accepted sources. With regards the book by Mary Savelli (which is only
$8), I believe that her greatest crime was to actually construct a
cookbook of recipes instead of simply a discussion of possibilities with
a few scant examples. Anyone in academics can tell you that, in an area
of uncertainty, anyone with the audacity to present a clear target will
be shot at.

In defense of the book by Savelli, her goal was not to reproduce
specific Anglo-Saxon recipes, but instead to create a collection of
recipes that would at least be "recognized and enjoyed" by someone from
the time. Her primary modern source, as stated in her introduction, are
the books by Ann Hagen. She then proceeds to document every ingredient
used in each recipe, citing source, old name and modern name (and
substitution when appropriate). For each recipe, she explains what
period sources inspired her creation, what earlier and later sources
give credence, and what substitutions or modernisms she has introduced,
and why. Though I have not agreed with all of her choices, her
scholarship, and it's clear presentation, made it possible (and easy)
for me to examine her arguments and make decisions of my own.

My feast is strongly based upon this book in question. When I posted my
modified ingredient list to this group, the major discussion focused on
the use of certain spices and herbs. The difference between the concepts
of "known" and "available" were at the core of these discussions. This
sent me back to sources on period herbs, flora, cultivation, and the
like. I decided that the use of certain "eastern" spices in the Savelli
recipes, while possible, were certainly extravagant. This resulted in
yet another change in the ingredients, if not the overall form of the
recipes. (I am now, through experimentation, adjusting the spices in
order for the dishes to better work together collectively. It is in this
process that I believe my modern palate interferes with authenticity.
Sort of like writing poetry in a language you barely know.)

/A Taste of Anglo-Saxon England/ is well worth the purchase price and is
an enjoyable and informative place to start exploring cooking from that
period. This is all that Savelli intended her work to be (according to
her introduction), and in that context it is an excellent resource. It
also provides annotations that effectively guide those with scholarly
interest in the subject to period sources and more academic discussion
on the various possibilities.

After the feast, 10/1, and my doctoral defense, 10/5 (hopefully), I will
post the collection of recipes, my alterations and collective
justifications.

Pax,
Aoghann