[Sca-cooks] Re: easy bread recipe?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Sep 24 01:13:58 PDT 2005

Aoghann asked:
> I am contemplating making bread for the feast. I would need about 45
> medium size
> loaves. I am looking for a fairly simple recipe, preferably including
> oats,

Any particular reason you are wanting a bread recipe using oats? I
really seems like non-wheat, non-white bread was really looked down
upon in the later Middle Ages and not something you would serve at a
dinner for nobleman. Although perhaps this wasn't the case in Anglo-
Saxon era England.

I don't remember any, of the few, surviving medieval bread recipes
using oats. However, you can find a number of period-esque bread
recipes using some oats in the FOOD-BREADS section of the
Florilegium. I assume you are talking about a mixture of oats and
wheat, rather than all oats. Otherwise I don't think the bread rises
much and you get oatcakes. There is a file for those as well.

> that could be taken on by a couple of willing and relatively competent
> helpers.
> >
> > Question: How big of a batch of dough can you make at once. I
> > fairly OK
> with single and double batches, but have never ventured beyond that.

Perhaps this file in the FEASTS section might of use:
bread-for-fsts-msg (16K)  1/25/05    Baking and buying bread for SCA
feasts.

I do have a bunch more stuff for this file as well, since we
discussed this not too long ago.

Several folks mentioned needing space to spread out and make the
bread. If you are cramped for space or time or people, you might also
consider making the dough up ahead of time and freezing it and then
just baking it on-site. I believe that option is discussed in the
above file.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas