[Sca-cooks] Fwd: History of pasta

Carole Smith renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 25 13:36:35 PDT 2005

Bear,

I appreciate your sharing this information.  While I was aware that the Decameron was well within period, I do not have a copy to look at.  (When I visit my brother in a couple of weeks, I will borrow his copy and read as much as I can during my visit.)

It is certainly more than reasonable that in stories about "local" people and situations that the foods described would sound "local" to the reader.

Cordelia

Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
Yes. And the Decameron has a publication date of 1353.

The painting in question is Flemish early 15th Century illustrating a scene
from the Decameron. There were three Flemish artists who used the Decameron
for inspiration in that period.

The fact that the inspiration was fictional has no bearing on the accuracy
of the gastronomic portion of the painting. Amorous accuracy, I leave to
individual opinion. There is at least one other Decameron inspired painting
in the exhibit, entitled Gastronomie Medievale, roughly translating to
Medieval Good Eats. There are a number of other illustrations from other
sources in the exhibit.

Bear