[Sca-cooks] trenchers

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Mon Sep 26 00:34:18 PDT 2005

Am Montag, 26. September 2005 06:12 schrieb Lonnie D. Harvel:
> Terry Decker wrote:
> > There are some German woodcuts that show multiple trencher slices
> > stacked. Wealth households appear to have used them with regularity.
> > The less wealthy used them for special occasions and in single slices,
> > as noted in Menagier's instructions for a wedding feast.  The middle
> > class and poor made do with metal, ceramics and wood.
>
> I have heard this before, and it amazes me. When did precious metals and
> fine porcelain start being used in table service? (or restart, as the
> case may be)

I don't think precious metal ever went out of use, but was always limited to
the few who could afford it. Porcelain OTOH did not come into widespread use
even among the upper classes until the latter half of the seventeenth
century, and its spread to the middle and lower classes had to await another
century or two. Glazed pottery made from white clay was in use earlier - lead
glazes were established since the days of Rome, and decorated versions could
be found throughout the early medieval Mediterranean, filtering north slowly
(Theophilus Presbyter gives a recipe for such glazes). However, these were
fairly expensive and not much like what we would consider porcelain.
For the majority of people in period, tableware probably meant coarseware
(unglazed earlier in period, glazed later) and wood, with pewter making an
appearance late. I can't track wooden trenchers earlier than the 14th
century, but there are some earlier wooden finds that may have been them,
plenty of shallow bowls, and quite a few pottery fragments that may have
answered the purpose. And the idea that everyone needs to have their own
eating dish is not necessarily one that need have been held widely at the
time.

Giano