[Sca-cooks] How long does bread keep (was Was bread served warm?)

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Sep 26 07:41:59 PDT 2005

Brewer's yeast and bread yeast are both Saccharomyces cerevisiae, so there
is no difference in the base yeast.  What you are seeing is a difference in
crumb density.  A lighter crumb (more aeration) tends to give up moisture
faster than a dense crumb.  Commercial bread yeast is selectively grown from
strains that produce more CO2 to produce a lighter crumb, but that doesn't
preclude any given brewer's yeast from being more active than a commercial
bread yeast (I've encountered this a few times, probably as a result of
shelf life or storage).

You can more effectively control the aging of the bread by the size of the
loaf and the flour mixture.

Bear