[Sca-cooks] trenchers and the "mini Ice Age"

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Sep 27 17:09:02 PDT 2005

On Sep 27, 2005, at 6:55 PM, Terry Decker wrote:

>> We have even more evidence, I suspect, that they were still eaten.
>>

> What's the documentation for eating trenchers at the table?  I
> won't say this was never the case, but from the documentation I've
> seen, trenchers were not intended to be eaten at the table and were
> cleared into the voiders under the direction of the household
> almoner for dispensing as charitable gifts to the neighboring
> poor.  Trenchers were meant to be eaten, but not by members of the
> household.

That was pretty much my point; we have accounts of trenchers being
given to almoners, etc. I agree that they probably weren't eaten by
most feast attendees.

> IIRC, the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles predates the Little Ice Age, so
> the calamaties recorded there are probably not due to a massive
> temperature drop, but they could be used to provide a statistical
> correlation between fat and lean years in a warm period to fat and
> lean years in a cold period.
>
> I think you will find the variables a little more complex than you
> let, but the thesis is interesting.

I thought so. It's mostly a matter of seeing if food can be tied into
what is an already otherwise pretty well-supported theory. As for the
AS Chronicles, I think they end in 1154 CE. I had remembered the 12th
century, and well after the Norman Conquest. But it's only one of
several such Chronicles, and weather, harvests, and other such annual
news is pretty well documented for periods after this. I have
[somewhere] a couple of books on the Mini Ice Age; at least one of
them refers to a starting date (as in, full-blown start, not first
traces) in the 12th century, IIRC.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782