[Sca-cooks] Selene's Files

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Sep 29 03:26:57 PDT 2005

On Sep 29, 2005, at 2:26 AM, Susan Fox wrote:

> This has an interesting measurment!  You boil the apples and sugar
> as long
> as it takes to say the prayer called "Manus Christi."  I’m not sure
> how long
> that is, but I let it get good and thick.

FWIW, it's my vaguely recalled understanding that Manus Christi is
not a prayer, per se, but rather another confection boiled to s
specific temperature/density. I believe there are recipes for Manus
Christi, which may or may not be more specific than the one you're
using.  There are several recipes for sugar confections that speak of
boiling a syrup to Manus Christi height, and since, as I recall,
there's some dispute as to exactly what that is, this apple recipe
probably tells us more about Manus Christi than Manus Christi does
about this apple recipe. Okay, that sounds a lot more fatuous than I
intended, but I believe it's true. Working between the dual
imperatives of getting an apple paste that'll hold its shape when
cool, and not burning the stuff, that's _reasonably_ specific when
you don't have a thermometer.

Wonderful job, though, on the pamphlet. I especially like the part
about the good news being that there are nasty foods that weren't yet
discovered in the Middle ages (Yay!) and cool foods that weren't
invented yet (Boo!).

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782