[Sca-cooks]Manus Christi, was: Selene's Files

Robert Downie rdownie at mts.net
Thu Sep 29 05:36:19 PDT 2005

> On Sep 29, 2005, at 2:26 AM, Susan Fox wrote:
>
>> This has an interesting measurment!  You boil the apples and sugar
>> as long
>> as it takes to say the prayer called "Manus Christi."  I’m not sure
>> how long
>> that is, but I let it get good and thick.
>

> FWIW, it's my vaguely recalled understanding that Manus Christi is
> not a prayer, per se, but rather another confection boiled to s
> specific temperature/density.

Peter Brears refers to the making of these from boiled sugar plate in
_All the King's Cooks_.  4 oz cane sugar plus 1/4 pint water boiled to
325*F then poured onto a marble slab dusted with rice flour, allowing it
to run into broad disks.  He says Manus Christi are just like this
sugarplate, except made with rosewater instead of regular water, and
dropped into small round cakes, then coated with gold leaf.

Faerisa