Manus Christi -- was, Re: [Sca-cooks] Selene's Files

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Sep 29 06:03:39 PDT 2005

Karen Hess goes onto it and provides recipes
in MWBof Cookery

Dawson has this recipe--

To make Manus Christi

  <>Take five spoonefull of Rosewater, and graines of Ambergreece, and 4

grains of Pearle beaten very fine, put these three together in a Saucer

and cover it close, and let it stande covered one houre, then take foure

ounces of very fine Suger, and beate it small, and search it through a

fine search, then take a little earthen pot glased, and put into it a

spoonefull of Suger, and a quarter of a spoonefull of Rosewater, and let

the Suger and the Rosewater boyle together softelye, till it doe rise

and fall againe three times.  Then take fine Rie flower, and sifte on a

smooth borde, and with a spoone take of the Suger, and the Rosewater,

and first make it all into a roundcake and then after into little Cakes,

and when they be halfe colde, wet them over with the same Rosewater, and

then laye on your golde, and so shall you make very good Manus Christi.

from the Florilegium file Gd-Huswfs-Jwl-msg - 7/29/02

Johnnae