[Sca-cooks] ancient Roman cookery

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Thu Sep 29 07:59:46 PDT 2005

Am Donnerstag, 29. September 2005 15:52 schrieb Aurelia Coritana:
> Greetings all!
>
> I decided it really was about time for me to officially speak up on this
> list! I am Aurelia Coritana in Ansteorra, a 1st c. Roman-Brit.
>
> My culinary interests are ancient Roman recipes (with fresh ingredients, of
> course, har har.) Does anyone else out there experiment with ancient
> cookery? If you've ever made anything with garum, I'd love to hear from
> you.
>
> Aurelia

Me, I did. Regularly do. Not that being 'pre-period' is regarded highly in
central Drachenwald, but my secondary persona, Titus Flavius T.f. Artemidorus
is something of a gourmet.

I find that garum is a matter of quality and quantity. If you are using
Philippine 'bagoong balayam' as your substitute (barely filtered stuff,
grey-brown and opaque, quite nasty) it goes only with savoury fish or meat
dishes, and even then it usually 'tastes through' more delicate flavours. I
only use it in dishes with plenty of onions and/or garlic. A good (filtered,
liquid, brownish-red) Nuoc Mam or Nam Pla, on the other hand, harmonises with
almost any dish. I used a dash of it instead of the obligatory pinch of salt
with a honeyed pear patina, and eveybody praised it highly (unawares. Nobody
ever eats anything they know contains garum...)

Have you ever managed to get a Roman feast served? They're dead against it in
my Shire.

Giano