[Sca-cooks] ancient Roman cookery

ekoogler1 at comcast.net ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 29 07:51:37 PDT 2005

I have done some Roman recipes from Cato and Apicius...and in a couple I used what i believe is a garum/liquamen equivalent...Nam Pla, or fish sauce, from Viet Nam, etc.  The descriptions I have read regarding garum seem to fit what nam pla is, so that's why I chose to use it.  I just haven't the "stomach" or whatever to try to make my own.  The dishes I used it in were mostly vegetable dishes...and the flavor of the fish sauce seemed to enhance the veggies' flavor.  Otherwise it was so innocuous that I forgot on once occasion that I had used it and was taken to task (kindly, I might add) for representing it as a vegetarian dish!

Kiri