[Sca-cooks] Re: ancient Roman cookery

Aurelia Coritana aurelia_coritana at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 29 09:47:17 PDT 2005

Greetings!

I'm thrilled to see so many ancient cooks on the list! In my area (Barony of Bryn Gwlad) there seems to be just the one Roman persona. Yup, I'm that one. At a recent event, the phrase "as far as ancient personas in this kingdom, you're kind of screwed" was tossed around.

Giano/Titus, I am pleased to make your acquaintance. I frequently experiment with Roman recipes, but usually substitute salt for garum. Recently I use a black bean garlic sauce just for fun, but have never fully appreciated the idea of garum in certain contexts. Fish sauce in pear patina - I have trouble wrapping my brain around that!

I have done several Roman feasts outside of an SCA context, but have never tried to do a large on at an event. I would LOVE to, though.

Kiri, your Roman-Italian dinner sounds really interesting! That's one thing that I find so fascinating about the ancient cuisine. It's so VERY different from Italian food as we know it.

Serena, thank you so much for the roast recipe! It looks yummy. Since laser is extinct, lemongrass is a pretty good substitute for those (many) recipes that call for laser.

Aurelia