[Sca-cooks] Spanish salads?

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Fri Sep 30 04:45:47 PDT 2005

Gwen Cat scripsit:
> I was HOPING for a make-ahead, or simply toss together SALAD to serve with
the Spanish menu

 The closest thing I know of is the salad of mixed greens in Platina. We
called it "Neapolitan Salad" and served it at Banquet dels Quatre Barres
III. This is my translation.

"There is made in the same way a seasoned mixture of lettuce, bugloss, mint,
calamint, fennel, rock parsley, savory, wild marjoram, chervil, sow-thistle
which doctors call dandelion, plantain which they call lamb's tongue,
nightshade, fennel flowers, and several other aromatic herbs, well-washed
and pressed. They require a large dish. They ought to be sprinkled with a
lot of salt and moistened with oil, and then vinegar poured over them . This
mixture requires more oil and less vinegar ." (Platina, On Right Pleasure
and Good Health, §4.5 "Conditum Pantodapum".)

Cynara