[Sca-cooks] Re: Introduction and a Request.

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 15 06:58:26 PDT 2006

Irene wrote:   *  if you make mention of a particular manuscript, I'd much appreciate it if you could point me to   where I might find it online (if available).  Otherwise I'm not sure   when or how I'll have a chance to try to hunt it down.

The anonimo Meridionale cookbooks are not availble on line, but you should
be able to interlibrary loan them. "Due Libri di Cucina a cura di Ingemar
Bostrom.  Almqvist, & Wiksell International Stockholm Sweden.

    * I have plans for a soteltie dessert that will require a cake of some   sort.  If necessary, I can go with a recipe that isn't really   Provencale.  But if anyone has any cake recipe ideas I'd love to hear   them.  (Otherwise I'll probably just do some sort of orange flavored   cake, maybe with bits of candied orange peel in the batter.)
> Not a whole lot of cakes in period, oven usage and all that.  Might I suggest the addition of orange flower water in addition to orange juice it will really liven the flavor up.  You can get orange flower water at most middle eastern stores.

    * In addition to the soteltie, I'd like to offer some sort of fruit   plate or fruit salad.  Any ideas?
  > Please check out the menus for the month of August taken from Scappi.
http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/augustmenus.html
  The menus are incredibly fruit heavy, this isn't your Northern European cuisine, it is hot, cold fruits are tasty (often by the 16th century they were chilled in snow prior to service).
  For example the lunch on the 16th of august there are six different fruits served, including red (water) and white (sweet) melons, Peeled plums served with sugar. Capon Sopramentati is a boiled capon with a spice blend sprinkled on it.  Cold ham is simply that, cold ham, make a nice mustard.
  The last course (from the sideboard) is also served cold, here you find things like pears cooked in wine, peaches peeled and served in wine (very tasty with a chilled lambrusco).  With dinner menus you tend to see salads: salad of mixed green with flowers, borage salad, salad of citron sliced etc.
  August at Pennsic is just as hot as August in Italy or Provencal the same types of foods would be popular, cooling foods, light foods.  Hope this helped.
  Helewyse