[Sca-cooks] Cajun Coffee 101

CLdyroz at aol.com CLdyroz at aol.com
Sun Apr 23 19:28:28 PDT 2006

In a message dated 04/23/2006 10:18:53 AM Central Daylight Time,
sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org writes:

<< Darlin' Stefan, why don't you ease over to Gleann Abhan (sp?) and taste
some
 authentic 'Cajun coffee?  It needs to be made by a wiry little old man, very
 brown from the sun, in a house built on stilts out over the swamp.

 Lady Anne du Bosc
 Known as Mordonna The Cook
 mka Pat Griffin >>

That is because they use swamp water. <G>

Cajun coffee, from the French Quarter of New Orleans fame, is a mix of a very
dark roast bean and chicory. In fact, there is a company there that makes a
blend.
The natives use various methods to make it;
Boiling it-just dump the coffee in the boiling water, bring back to a boil
until you have something the color of overcooked tar and then pour it into the
mug. they may strain it through a dishrag, if you insist, otherwise, use your
teeth.
Percolate it-and when it is finished, you pour out a mug, take the lid off
and pour it back through the grounds. Repeat until you get something the spoon
will stand up in-before it disappears.
French press-for the highfalutin' rich folks.
(There is a reason I don't drink coffee to this day<G>)

There is a place in the French Quarter called The Morning Call. It sells
Beignets and Coffee and Hot Chocolate. The coffee is the Cajun mix. You can order
it half and half-half coffee, half cream. I always ordered the hot chocolate
<G> They made it with real cream. Whether they still do or not, I don't
know...that was over 30 years ago. ::sigh::
I grew up in South Louisiana, even further down south then New Orleans. I
miss the food...the REAL Cajun cooking...where everything was fresh,
well-seasoned and cooked to perfection, not over-spiced and burnt.

Helen
Wishing for one more bit of Grandmama DeHart's baked redfish-and the recipe,
now that I am old enough to appreciate it.