[Sca-cooks] Books on boxes, cutlery and cutlery boxes

Sharon Gordon gordonse at one.net
Fri Apr 28 05:06:49 PDT 2006

Saw this on a woodworking list.  I don't know if any spice boxes got
included.  Anyone seen the cutlery book referred to?

For those of you interested in European Locks and Keys along
with many fancy caskets the following is in color:

http://www.goetzbuch.de/
Goetz sells books on specific arts like glass, furniture, or
painting. There are no problems I know of buying from him.
I've done it for years now. All his catalogs are in German
though, so I have tried to be specific. He takes credit/debit
cards.  INFO at GOETZBUCH.DE
Look for it under suche [search]:

Bookseller number: 47794  Prunkstücke aus der Hanns Schell
Collection Schlüssel, Schlösser, Kästchen und Beschläge Pall,
Martina 29,80 EUR  [A Euro is about $1.25 US.]

Pall, Martina: Prunkstücke aus der Hanns Schell Collection:
Schlüssel, Schlösser, Kästchen und Beschläge; [Pieces of
splendor from the Hanns Schell Collection: Key, locks, small
boxes and fittings] Description: Katalogbuch zur Ausstellung
in Wien. 21 x 30 cm. Geb. 403 Farbabb. und 25 techn.
Zeichnungen. 165 S.
Publisher: Graz, 2005, Hardcover, Catalog book to the exhibition
in Vienna. 21 x 30 cm. Geb. 403 color pictures. and 25 technical
designs. 165 pages. The book itself is in German and English
on each page or description.

Shows how a number of the locks work from Roman times onward.
Also included are some Asian locks.

Previously the same collection has had books on cutlery and
the cases for it {I didn't buy this one] and one on Caskets.
Those were published by Arnoldsche.de and not nearly as
reasonably priced as this one. Then again they were larger too.

I don't know if it is still available but this is the book on
caskets:
Berger, Ewald: Prunk-Kassetten, Europaische Meisterwerke aus
Acht Jahrhunderten, Ornamental Caskets of Eight Centuries;
1998: Arnoldsche, Stuttgart, cloth, dj, Text in English and
German. The Hans Schell Collection, Graz., profuse color &
b/w illus., 318 pages, 12 x 10, ornamental caskets /             decorative
art /
metal work / gold boxes.
ISBN 3-925369-83-X   $110.
Bestand katloge der Hanns Schell collection; Bd 1.
(to be followed by others on cast iron objects, locks and
keys, forged steel objects, and guild emblems.)
Pp. 336, approximately 500 illustrations.
Berger, Ewald: Ornamental Coffers; Eight Centuries of European
Craftsmanship ISBN: 392536983X  Arnoldsche Verlaganstalt GmbH,
Jan.1999, US 110.00