[Sca-cooks] UK Food Conferences

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sat Apr 29 06:03:08 PDT 2006

Greetings!  Johnna can write about the Oxford symposium that occurs in
September since I've never attended it, but I wanted to alert you to some
other UK conferences for next year that you can either drool over or save
up for.  The Christ Church "special interest weekend" in food for 2007 will
be held on March 29-April 1 with the topic of "sugar".  Depending on the
exchange rate it can be pricy at 395 pounds sterling.  However, if you
consider that this also includes 3 nights lodging and 3 full days of meals
(with wines!), plus the cost of lectureres, then the 131 pounds per day is
quite reasonable for a day's lodging, food, and seminar in the UK.

The Leeds Food History Symposium (held in York) has not announced upcoming
dates or topics, but the rumor was that the topic might be "feasts".  I've
written to the organizer for next year to ask about dates, although the
most likely one(s) are either April 7 (the day before Easter) or the same
date as Christ Church.  I'm hoping there won't be any conflict.

Ivan Day's cooking sessions are also worth considering, although he usually
doesn't run them as early as April.  If you haven't looked at the course
offerings on his web site (historicfood.com) you might want to do so.
Depending on the date of the Leeds Symposium and if 5-6 of "us" are
interested, he might be willing to offer a weekday course as he did this
past month.

While not everyone can afford to jaunt across the pond to the UK, it
certainly was always a dream of mine for roughly 45 years to do so - and
now I can.  Maybe some of these seminars will help you dream as well.

Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/