[Sca-cooks] Need advice/suggestion for counter top

otsisto otsisto at socket.net
Sat Apr 1 08:29:21 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
<<<Synthetic or wood is a matter of orthodoxy, in my mind.>>>>

Lyse: There has been a study that wood is better then plastic in germ
prevention. When I have time and remember, I'll look for the info.

<<<I am partial to wood myself, and have materials I plan to use to make my
next counter top .
. . boards from boxcar flooring.  They are 3ish inches thick oak,
'laminated' side-by-side like butcher block, and come from trains dating 70
to 90 years ago.>>>

Lyse: The question is, are they food safe? What chemicals if any have been
used on them or that they have been exposed too?

Somewhat like landscaping wood/rails and railroad ties. They contain some
chemical (formaldehyde?) that leeches into the soil over time and therefore
is not recommended for use in edible box gardens.