[Sca-cooks] Need advice/suggestion for counter top

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 2 08:39:25 PDT 2006

These things are solid and fast-moving when in trains.  They are assembled
with pegs and glue of the period.  No chemical treatment needed as they were
made before the era of all chemicals all the time.  The wood itself had all
the essentials to protect it.  They really are amzing . . . though the heart
pine ones I got for the kitchen island are amazing in their own right.

So, heavy poly will seal these fabulously for a cutting board . . . as there
is no toxin waste lurking to leach into the lettuce.  The kind of poly that
sets up thick and hard like bar tops is probably overkill, but can be done.
I am opting for a simpler finish that doesn't hide the wood so much.

niccolo difrancesco