[Sca-cooks] types of corn bread?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 3 05:33:47 PDT 2006

Lawrence Bayne wrote:

OK...a couple of edits/additions, if I may:
> Regular: Contains just enough sugar to allow browning.
> Usually also contains whole kernal corn (preferably
> just cut from the cob) or even Cream style corn from a
> can. Might be called savory cornbread as this would be
> the type most often containing peppers, cheese, or
> other flavoring ingredients. Often begun in heated,
> greased cast iron skillet.

I am from the south...as I've said before, Mom from south Georgia, etc.
We always cook cornbread in a black cast-iron skillet, in which we
usually melt a little butter (or sometimes bacon drippings) before
adding the batter.  The only time I've seen whole or creamed corn added
was when my husband (also from the south--Virginia) made yummy corn
fitters.  These were made using a similar recipe to cornbread, but were
cooked as fritters.
> <snip>
>
> Spoon Bread: Most often considered Southern but with
> many New England adherents. Made similar to reg corn
> bread but with a crumbly consistency that must be
> spooned out of the baking pan and served onto plate.

The consistency I get when I make spoonbread (LOVE that stuff!!) is more
along the lines of a souffle...
> Scrapple: Although most often cooked like polenta with
> "scraps" of meat, onion, etc added. Cooled and then
> slice and deep-fried. Can also be made like spoon
> bread with additions of meat, onions and cheese etc.

This is actually a Pennsylvania Dutch/ German thing, I think.  My
grandmother (Shenandoah Valley of Va) used to make it...cornmeal mixed
with pork "parts", then formed into a loaf.  We fry it, but I've never
seen it deep-fried...nor have I seen it done like spoonbread.  The best
I've head since she passed away has come from the local Amish market in
Annapolis...but I did find some excellent scrapple at the Restaurant
Supply Depot (Jetro) up near Baltimore.
> BB
> YIS
> Lothar