[Sca-cooks] Need advice/suggestion for counter top

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 3 06:57:31 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
Niccolo- I think you're missing the point. The concerns are not necessarily
what might have been used to seal the boards at their installation in their
original position in the train cars, but rather what interesting substances
might have been spilled on them and absorbed while they were in use. * * * *
*

I don't think I missed the point to which I was responding.  To Wit:

"><<SNIP>>>
>  Lyse: The question is, are they food safe? What chemicals if any have
been
>used on them or that they have been exposed too? Somewhat like landscaping
>wood/rails and railroad ties. They contain some chemical (formaldehyde?)
>that leeches into the soil over time and therefore is not recommended
>for use in edible box gardens. "

followed by:

"I was not saying the chemicals in the railroad ties would be in the boxcar
flooring but that something might have been used to preserve the wood.
And are you certain that the "synthetic" finish will seal it well enough
that if there is traces of a chemical that it wouldn't leech out through the
finish?"

The 1st poster questioned that they had chemicals used on them, and used
formaldehyde
and railroad ties as specific suggestion.  The 2nd specifically stated
'preserving'.
Neither of these seems anywhere in the realm of 'spilled on' kind of idea,
but
rather a 'treated with' or 'saturated with/in' sort of idea.  That may not
be
your thought process or concern with the subject matter, but the letter of
to which I was responding.

That said, to each his or her own idiom with regards wood, chemical
sensitivities and cautions.

niccolo difrancesco