[Sca-cooks] Need advice/suggestion for counter top

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Mon Apr 3 08:37:58 PDT 2006

> Greetings
>  Just a question for clarification.
>   End grain you mean ending up with traditional butcher block , ie
> checker board pattern. Rather then the length or bar pattern of more
> modern cutting boards? Cealian

Yeah. End grain is what you'd get if you were using a tree stump for your
cutting board, although you don't necessarily want a checkerboard pattern-
that comes from a rather excellent marketing ploy to make use of smaller
pieces of wood in order to develop a quality cutting board, withough having
to find thick and stable stumps to cross-cut thick pieces from.

And, it's easier to cut a wide board out of a tree, but it's not a matter of
more or less modern, other than is the sense that because of how much we've,
um, harvested trees throughout the world, we have very few truly thick ones
left. It's more a matter of economics- because big, thick trees have become
so rare, very wide boards and large, clean cross-cut pieces are hard to find,
and therefore more expensive- much more expensive, usually.

Phlip