[Sca-cooks] Seasonal, Local Sweet Onions;

Tom Vincent tomrvincent at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 3 13:18:53 PDT 2006

Darwinism is best referred to as 'Natural Selection'.   It was, ironically, an economist (Herbert Spencer) who came up with the 'Survival of the Fittest' tag.

  'Survival of the Fittest' is either circular (Fit for what?  Survival, I guess!) or something worse.

  The case with Vidalia (or Walla Walla or Maui) onions strikes me as more manufactured than natural.  I now notice a variety of 'balsamic-*like*' vinegars and Belgian-*style* ales as well.

  Maybe just adding a bit of sugar in with white onions will give the same effect?

  Reminds me of the fabled fishmonger who advertised his salmon as 'guaranteed not to turn pink'!

  Duriel