[Sca-cooks] Sows Utter stuffed with Fried Baby Mice.

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Apr 3 16:11:21 PDT 2006

Right you are.  I was thinking of allecatum, which is a sauce made from
allec.

"The so-called liquamen is made as follows:  the entrails of fish are thrown
into a vessel and salted.  Take small fish, either atherinae, or small red
mullet, or sprats, or anchovy, or  any other small fish, and salt all this
together and leave to dry in the sun, shaking it frequently.  When it has
become dry from the heat extract the garum from oit as follows; take a long
fine meshed basket and place it in the middle of the vessel with the
above-mentioned fish, and in this way the so-called liquamen, put through
the basket, can be taken up.    The residue is allec."

--Geoponica, Book XX, Chapter 46

The word appears as both allec and hallec.

Bear