[Sca-cooks] Food safe firewood

charding at nwlink.com charding at nwlink.com
Thu Apr 6 06:53:56 PDT 2006

We have been clearing a lot of land as we expand our garden space and have
been making a lot of woodpiles.

We have come to the following conclusions.....don't use willow for the
medicinal taste that it can impart.  Cascara is another kind of weed tree
that we see here, it not only imparts a bad tase, but the bark is a pretty
harsh purgative, it can have unplesant consquences.

We have a friend who is allergic to hazel nuts (filburts) and the smoke
from burning hazel wood is enough to set off her allergies.  She suspects
that cherry wood may also give problems to those who react to cherries,
she even avoids bowls and utensils made with cherry wood.

We have a lot of Alder, which is really nice for smoking and roasting.  We
save the trimmings from the apple prunings and use them for roasting
chickens in the fire place.

Also up here in An Tir we see people using (in their fire pits and cooking
fires) the pressed fake logs that you can get in the stores. Those aren't
good either.

Mæva matbúðarkona
Barony of Glymm Mere
Kingdom of An Tir