[Sca-cooks] Food safe firewood

otsisto otsisto at socket.net
Thu Apr 6 10:43:26 PDT 2006

Your bowls, platters, plates,..etc. usually are made of hardwood as the
softwood will be permeated by food residue and can be marred by blades more
then the hardwood. (Though Maple seems to be a favored wood for cutting
boards)
With that you work your way through the hardwoods to see what works.
Note that there are a variety of willows so stating that "willow' does this
and "willow" does that is to broad. This goes for any tree variety.

For firewood, hardwood burns longer then softwood. Cedar and Pine burn
quickly because to the oils/resin.
This is the first time I have heard Cedar used for flavoring. Would like
more info.

Take w/grain of salt due to fuzzy memory. I believe that Poison Ivy and
Poison oak are plants you should not burn as the "oil" can and do go up with
the smoke and you can breath them in.

Lyse