[Sca-cooks] Food safe firewood

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 6 15:55:58 PDT 2006

Mark Hendershott wrote:
> At 10:43 AM 4/6/2006, you wrote:
>
> Cooking salmon tacked to a red cedar (Western Red Cedar, not a true
> cedar) board over a fire is a PNW thing.  I've seen cedar boards w/
> instructions in cookware shops.  It is said, I don't know with what
> authority, that this is the Indian way.
>
> Simon Sinneghe
> Briaroak, Summits, An Tir

Actually, I believe that the Native Americans on the East Coast
practiced cooking fish on a wooden plank as well...and I seem to
remember it being cedar, but I'd have to check.  In fact, in Virginia,
even today, one of the major Spring celebrations is a shad
planking...often done as a political "do".

Kiri