[Sca-cooks] Re:elevations drive by surprises

Sharron Albert morgana at gci.net
Thu Apr 6 22:29:18 PDT 2006

I got my pelican in AS XVI, when I think pretty much all peerages
were surprises. And only rarely did a king come all the way north to
Winter's Gate (Fairbanks, Alaska). I had been cooking literally all
day, and had had several conferences with His Majesty during the
previous couple days He was here about what awards to give to other
people (was a founding member and seneschale), so you can imagine my
surprise when I was called up at the end of a long court, divested of
my much-earned bowl of ice cream, and then struck dumb (I am seldom
speechless) when I realized what was going on (luckily, I had seen a
mere few peerage ceremonies before so I understood what was going
on). Knowing that practically everyone in my local group and some
from other places about Oertha-to-be had made recommendations made it
quite special.

But now, should I ever get good enough at anything in particular to
earn a laurel, I think I should like to do a vigil. Funny how things
change over the years...

Surprises can still be good, but only if it is really known they want
it. I had a protege once, and we'd had that discussion on and off. He
was also possibly a laurel (brewing) and a knight. I questioned him
about every six months about it. So when he got his pelican, he got
surprised, as he'd repeatedly stated. He only wanted to vigil if he
ever got knighted. But when in doubt, ask, is a very good policy.

Recently we had a new bird added at coronet in January, and the King
was minded to surprise her at court when he asked her if she wished
to join. We in the council circle all counseled otherwise, so she was
tricked into the meeting, and then asked. As we suspected, she
collapsed in tears of surprise. It would have been far more difficult
for her at court. You just gotta know your candidate (G). Her
ceremony on Sunday went very well, I am pleased to say.

Morgana

Morgana yr Oerfa, OP
Winter's Gate/Oertha/West
Per saltire gules and sable, in pale two mullets and
in fess an increscent	 and a decrescent argent.

"Springtime returned... Woods were tinged with a colour
so soft, so subtle that it could scarcely be said to be a
colour at all. It was more the idea of a colour -- as if the
trees were dreaming green dreams or thinking green thoughts."
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell