[Sca-cooks] Cooking Feasts without a Kitchen

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 10 16:28:01 PDT 2006

I am sorry that I didn't get back to you earlier.  I am kind of ditzy these days
with making wedding plans and all.

If you would like, you may borrow my propane two burner cook stove [not a Colman, but the
20,000 BTU kind], my propane grill [which can also convert to another two burner 20,000 BTU
cook stove] and my propane oven [which I haven't used yet, but it again isn't the Colman
kind, but an actual stand alone oven that uses the same large propane cannisters.]  This
should give you a lot of heating sources and help you immensely.

You may also borrow whatever serving stuff I have, if you like.

The large banquet that I did for Angels 20th at the primitive site was a standard feast
menu.  Three courses.  I didn't do a single country or era menu, but did a montage so
that I could have more freedom to do things that fit the cooking sources that I had.

I did a Roman pork roast, I did roasted and stuffed chicken, and I did beef e-stewed
with onions.  I also did compound salads and fresh fruits.  One of my cooks insisted
that we have frumenty, which wasn't difficult to make, but difficult to clean the pot
because it burned horribly.  I spent many hours scrubbing that pot because it belonged
to my church and I always return borrowed items cleaner than when I got them.  We also
had beet pies and stuffed mushrooms and lots of fresh bread.  And peas porridge.
[Which I actually made more like pea soup, than porridge.] And honeyed carrots.  I can't
remember all the subtelties [this was more than 15 years ago], but one was rosettes
made using several irons shaped as an angel rather than the traditional rose shape.
I served them with lemon sorbet.

The roasts [both chicken and pork], the breads, pies and mushrooms were all premade and
reheated for the feast.  The beef, frumanty, peas, carrots, salads, fruits and rosettes
were made on site.  I purchased the sorbet, and kept it on dry ice.

I hope that this helps you.  Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Huette