Green Pyes was Re: [Sca-cooks] Cooking Feasts without a Kitchen

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 11 19:54:09 PDT 2006

>> My mother suggested this morning that we make the Green Pyes that I'm so
>> fond of.  It can be done in advance and served at room temp.  Muriath
>> has this recipe already.  Load it up with roasted garlic and I think we
>> will have a winner.

I wouldn't have "spoon teased" but I was at work and the recipe was at home.
Oh drat, the one on my computer is the abbreviated "atkins" type with no
crust.  Let me dredge this up from my brain:

Take an unbaked pie crust of your choice.  Put it on a cookie sheet because
it will inevitably spill, burn and meld to the bottom of your oven.  Place
therein, in this order:

Julienned fresh herbs of your choice  - I like sage

One medium onion, chopped fine and sauteed.  [Maybe not sauteed if you are
using one of those Vidalias we have discussed recently.]  This is where the
Garlic should go also if you are using that.

1 layer of grated cheese of your choice.

"Spring Greens" or "Mesclun Mix" available pre-washed and bagged these days.
[Actually, spinach or any leafy greens will work.]  1 average handfull if
you have big hands, 2 big handfulls if you have little paws like mine.  Yes,
this will poke out over the top and look like a big salad, that's all right,
it shrinks as it cooks.

1 layer of grated cheese of your choice.

Pour over with a mixture of 3 eggs to 2 cups of milk.  If it does not reach
the lip of the pie crust, mix up some more.  Make Pain Perdu with the excess
egg-milk, you deserve a treat.

Bake at 350 degrees F for One Hour or until well browned on top.  Use the
skewer test to determine doneness.

I have tried this in a convection oven and found that it browned nicely on
the outside LONG BEFORE it was done inside, so I cannot recommend using a
convection oven for this kind of cooking.

Selene