[Sca-cooks] OOP - Speaking of Coca Cola

King's Taste Productions kingstaste at comcast.net
Wed Apr 12 11:06:57 PDT 2006

The comment about kosher Coke made me remember that I wanted to mention
this here...

On my way to Fool's Wash last Saturday (I was smart and waited until the
rain ended ;)  I stopped by a Kroger on the south side of Atlanta to
pick up  a few things.  There was a lady with a sampling table there
with a new Coke product - Coca Cola Black.  It is a combination of
regular Coke and Coffee.  It is black - no milk products in it.  It was
surprisingly good.  Addictively good.  A 4-pack of 10 or 12 oz bottles
was 5 bucks though.  I said it must be marketed at folks already willing
to pay a buck and a half for a Starbucks bottled drink, and the lady
said actually it was an 'energy' drink.  (Caffeine fortified with more
caffeine).  Like a taste of heroin, it had me thinking about it all
weekend, I'm afraid to buy any!

But here's my question.  Most new flavors that come out are things that
have already been being done by folks - cherry and vanilla syrups were
part of the original soda jerk's repertoire, hence Cherry Coke and
Vanilla Coke.  Dieters figured out that adding a squeeze of lime or
lemon juice helped counteract the bitterness of diet sodas, and then
Coke and Pepsi came out with citrus flavored colas.  So I have to
wonder, are there people out there that have been adding coffee to their
Coke already?  Seattle?  NYC?  It isn't an Atlanta thing, no one I've
asked has ever heard of it.  So purely from an
anthropological/sociological curiosity standpoint, I'm wondering who
came up with this idea - the flavor gurus at Coke or some member of the
general public?

Christianna the currently non-caffeinated