[Sca-cooks] Lutefisk and strange dreams...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 12 21:25:10 PDT 2006

Judith mentioned:
  =======
    One of these days, I'm going to tackle salt cod, herring, et al,
as a project of some kind.
========

You might be interested in these files in the FOOD-NEATS section of
the Florilegium:
eels-msg          (26K) 10/11/04    Eel dishes. Getting and cleaning
eels.
fish-msg         (140K)  4/18/05    Medieval fish dishes. Fish in the
SCA.
fish-pies-msg     (11K)  5/ 3/01    Period fish pies. Recipes.
salmon-msg        (74K) 10/15/02    Period use of Salmon. Recipes.
seafood-msg       (90K) 10/15/04    Medieval non-fish seafood. Recipes.
Shrympes-art      (16K) 10/11/01    "Shrympes" by Lady Constance de
Larose.
stockfish-msg     (98K) 10/15/04    Period preserved fish. Dried,
smoked and
                                        salted fish. Recipes.
whale-meat-msg     (7K)  6/26/05    Use of whale and porpoise meat in
period.
                                        Recipes. Substitutions.

The stockfish-msg file does have some info on lutefisk.

========
I found a lovely-sounding fish pie recipe
in a modern Jewish cookbook, and remember there being lots of
references to fish pies in-period...  Fish patties, fish dumplings,
quenelles... they must all have period antecdents,
=========

I would love to have more fish pie recipes for the above file, as
well as other recipes. For instance, i don't know if I have any
period fish dumplings or quenelles recipes, but the former might be
in the soup-msg file.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas