Food-related Meta-Issue -- was, Re: [Sca-cooks] Cola with sugar was Semi-OT: So... guten Pesach to them as does it...

ekoogler1 at comcast.net ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 13 08:30:02 PDT 2006

Master A wrote:

> Without getting all critical, especially since I'm hearing these
> reports second-and-third-hand, how do people feel about the example
> of a Crown Prince who will eat only cheese pizza?
>
> How would they react to me if I said period garb is fine for other
> people, but I'll only wear blue jeans and Air Jordans at events?
>
> I could see if there were so many massive food allergies involved
> that this was one of the few clearly safe options, but I'm not
> getting the impression that that's the deal in this case...
>
> Again, I'm not really trying to be critical here, but lately, given a
> lot of what's been going on in my own Kingdom lately, I and some
> others I know have been giving a great deal of thought as to what
> we'd look for in a fighter we'd like to see entering the Crown
> Tourney lists. Should a willingness to play the game in most or all
> of its aspects (and I would submit having an acceptable dietary
> repertoire of one dish might be argued to constitute such an
> unwillingness) be considered by Royalty reading letters of intent?
>
> Adamantius

I tend to agree with you.  We had a King and Queen a couple of years ago with the same situation.  What he wasn't allergic to/didn't want to eat, she was allergic to/didn't want to eat.  It made serving a feast a real challenge.  We finally decided to create a period feast, making sure that the Crowns knew which dishes to avoid...the only concession to their "whims" was that we served the King a HoHo in a covered silver platter as a special presentation just to him.  But our thinking was that if they wanted so much special stuff to eat and were not content to eat what we served, then they should bring their own food.  As it turned out, they tried some of what we served (what they weren't allergic to) and actually seemed to enjoy it!

Kiri