[Sca-cooks] Needham VI:5 as a culinary source

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Thu Apr 13 15:59:17 PDT 2006

Salvete

I was just idly wondering what the more knowledgeable ones out here think of
J-. Needham: Science and Civilisation in China; Food and Fermentation Science
as a resource for culinary recreation. I realise he isn't trying to give
recipes, but how well founded are the translations of the ones he quotes? How
reliable are the transmission pathways?

I've learned the hard way that current Chinese science isn't always credible,
but I can't judge this one.

Giano