[Sca-cooks] horseradish in period

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Apr 13 20:53:06 PDT 2006

Margaret FitzWilliam asked:
=====
  The meat dishes will be bratwurst and then a beef roast, and the
head cook is also planning to have spiced/pickled beef on the tables to
start.

I'm doing the Welserin pear mustard, Lombard mustard, a simple
mustard/vinegar, and the head cook wants something with horseradish,
because her recipe for the spiced beef says to serve it with
horseradish.
The condiments are going to stay on the tables through the whole feast.

Was horseradish as we know it--plain roots grated into vinegar--
served in
period, or was it always mixed with something else?
=====

Yes. English, German and even Spanish. Depends upon what you mean by
"something else" though. I think the Spanish recipe had some honey
and I think one of them adds mustard. See this file in the PLNTS,
HERBS AND SPICES section of the Florilegium:
horseradish-msg   (54K)  1/11/06    Period use of horseradish. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/horseradish-msg.html

Oh, and the candied horseradish recipe is in there, also.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com