[Sca-cooks] Savory Tosted Cheese and similar recipes

Fairy Tale Designs avrealtor at prodigy.net
Sat Apr 15 09:37:17 PDT 2006

Yummmy, got to try this

  -Muiriath

Anne-Marie Rousseau <dailleurs at liripipe.com> wrote:
  As requested, here's my reconstruction and information from the la
Varenne version of ramequins of cheese (much like Digby's savory toasty
cheese. Mmmm. Cheeeeeeese..... ;))

Please don’t copy or publish without permission...this is from one of
our Feudal Gourmet pamphlets (the one on French food in the
Renaissance). You can find ordering info for the pamphlets here:
www.liripipoe.com/sca/culinary

enjoy!

--AM
***********************************

RAMEQUINS OF CHEESE
This is basically an open faced toasted cheese sandwich. A
really really good toasted cheese sandwich. The recipe here is from le
Cuisinier françois , but there is a similar version in Epulario’s work
(E226 "To Frie Cheese in a Pan") , as well as the later period English
source attributed to Kenelm Digby (p220, "Savory toasted or melted
Cheese") . The type of cheese you use can decide the end product. Brie
and Gruyere were both wonderful, and used in France during the period,
and a sharp white cheddar is sublime (Oxford English Dictionary says
"cheddar" dates from the 17th century, but I rather doubt it was the
artificially colored obnoxiously orange stuff we see in most grocery
stores today). I used salted butter, and so would tend to omit the salt
called for in the original, but you may do as you see fit. I should warn
you...this recipe is not for the cholesterol-conscience. Come to think
of it, not many of the recipes by la Varenne are!
Ramequins of Cheese [V#41, p221]
Take some cheese, melt it with some butter, an onion whole, or stamped,
salt and pepper in abundance, spread all upon bread, pass the fire
shovel over it red hot, and serve it warme.

Our Version:
1 loaf of good chewy French or Italian style bread, cut into 1" thick
slices
2T salted butter
2T minced onion
3/4 lb. cheese, cubed (if you're using Brie, remove the rind)
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
pinch of salt if desired
Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan, over medium heat. Add the minced
onion and simmer in the butter until the onion begins to clear. Don't
let the butter brown. Add the cubed cheese, and stir constantly until
the cheese is melted and the butter is absorbed. You should have a nice,
creamy, even texture. Add the salt if you wish, and the pepper.

Spread the cheese on the sliced bread, and arrange them on a cookie
sheet. Stick the slices under a pre-heated broiler for a minute or so,
until the cheese is all brown and bubbly. Serve immediately.
Makes about 12 or so slices.